Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Spectator or Participant??

Hi Lucky,
I am here to bug you again. One question has been nagging me for quite some time. I’ll try to put it in a way that you can understand. Of all the people I have met, read about, heard about, dreamed or imagined of in my relatively short lifetime, I think all of them can be easily dichotomized into two categories- Participants and Spectators.
Its just like a game of tennis, a couple of players and millions of spectators watching the action. It takes months and may be even years of struggle and toil for a player to reach a Grand Slam or a least an ATP tournament where there are spectators to watch them play. Thousands start out playing aiming to become a Grand Slam winner some day- years of discipline, commitment, hard work and of course there is that element of luck- only a few make it to the top. Although lot of people (mostly cynics) say that a large portion of success is plain luck- I kind of disagree- I believe in the age-old saying of luck favouring the brave. After all, you have to be brave and perseverant enough to see through tough times, challenges and hardships to reach the top (this is not bollywood my friend where an actors’ kid is an actor by virtue of his birth- its pure merit here- that’s why I love sport!!). Each day hundreds pick up a racquet in some corner of the world with this dream of becoming the next Sampras or Borg or Federer and if someone has reached the top- if not anything else – he has at least crushed the dreams of thousand others like him, which itself takes more than just plain luck.
The spectator! Aah.. the most convenient job in the world. When you are done with lazing around in the house, turn on the TV, switch to Star Sports, watch two Great players compete against each other(its as competitive and as important to the players as a Gladiator match was- the only difference is the axe and weapons are replaced with racquets) , blast out at the players for every fault while a silent ‘Nice Shot’ for a spectacular volley down the baseline!!! Its so easy. The best part is anyone can be an expert on Tennis- you , me even my 5 year old nephew- you just need to watch a few games on TV- and you are ready to become a spectator(and critic rolled into one). The media is the epitome of this ‘Spectatorship’- comments, criticism and reviews on the minutest of mistakes while a very low-key appreciation for brilliance so that it is not misunderstood by other fellow spectators(readers/viewers) as being ‘Biased’.
Life is pretty much like a game of Tennis for me Lucky. There are a few people who are into the action and practising each day in the hope that the Grand Slam is going to be theirs’ some day- the participants. While on the other hand, most of mankind is just a spectator to whatever is happening or what is ‘Shown’ to them. The only difference between Tennis and life is that there are not sufficient good participants in the game of life- most of these winners are undeserving people, simply because the deserving ones opt to sit out and merely be spectators.The justification, well simple- 'Its a lot of effort with no guarantee' or 'these games are all fixed by people in even bigger positions' or 'I am just enjoying my life the way it is now' and the worst 'Whats wrong with things now? Let them do what they are doing and let me do things!!'. But I dont blame these people completely Lucky. What is happening in the process of these undeserving bastards playing the game is, they are modifying the rules of the game, they are creating system where only people like them can excel, there is absolutely no place for outsiders, it is getting tougher to become a champion or for that matter even compete at the highest level.
Coming to the point Lucky- I completely admit to the fact that I am a spectator to this big game called life. Things are happening around me, crazy things if I may add. I talk about these things, discuss, debate, criticize the system but at the end of the day- I am merely watching the game conveniently enjoying the comforts of life. But on the inside- I am confused and frustrated to a large extent. I dont want to be just another spectator who took birth just to die one fine day. I dont want to pretend as if everything around me is all right and live like a loser on the inside. I want to be there- in the action- competing, fighting I should say- fight against stupid people and unjustified rules. Its tough, very tough, its an understatement to even be trying to compare it to a world war. I want to be a participant, a champion maybe- but I dont know... I dont know if I am good enough, or at least courageous enough. Its black or white- you are either in the court or in the stands, if you are not part of the solution- you are part of the problem. Fill in the gaps for me Lucky.. please...

4 comments:

  1. At least you found the gaps sid.
    ...you will fill it one day without LUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaps which have existed and survived against time, must have reasons behind them. I don't know what Lucky knows, but all I can say, is those who go to see the tennis match, do so only if they get time and money which they have to earn or get somehow.I mean even the spectators participate, may not be in a grand slam, but in some form which may not be branded, but is not insignificant according to me. Even tennis players retire and become spectator to the game of life. But if you want to change the game you are playing, try to understand how you got involved, because as you have said, its not just luck, but something more which brought you where you are. Otherwise a good post, but I feared u may not get any criticism for such a lovely post, so I had to play Mojo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's well written and we get some insight into your life again. But there are a of 'I's in your piece. About time you should start looking around and write about some real issues. Anyway I liked it. Another way to put it: there are two kinds of people, ones who can be manipulated and the ones who can't be :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Viny: I hope so..
    @Olive: I agree with you that being a spectator is nothing wrong- but then the fake outside cover of being an expert- thats pissing off.. and please continue the 'Mojo' work- criticism is always welcome
    @Muthu/Parth: Im currently trapped in a small world- will break out- thats when Lucky will get to see some real issues.. and I know what you mean by manipulate ;)(read:old foe, steal GF :P)

    ReplyDelete